Big kick, defensive stand net Griffins OT victory

Kyle Riviere
Dutchtown defensive back Jordan Jackson had a 65-yard touchdown run in the Griffins' 16-13 OT victory over Central. Photo by Kyle Riviere

In Dutchtown’s season opener against Walker, the Griffin defense was victimized by big plays.

The Wildcats used these explosive scores to pull away with a 35-18 victory.

The Griffins made sure lightning didn’t strike in the same place twice.

Playing at home against Central on a wet and muddy field, Dutchtown’s defense stood tall and forced some huge stops throughout the game. One of those stops was a goal-line stand in overtime that clinched a victory.

Along with the valiant defensive effort, kicker Cohen Parent put forth a record-breaking performance. He made three kicks—including the game-winner in overtime.

Both 0-1 squads came into the contest looking for their first win of the season.

Dutchtown got off to a great early start.

On their first possession, defensive back and McNeese State commit Jordan Jackson entered the game to play quarterback from the wildcat formation.

Jackson took the direct snap and exploded for a 65-yard touchdown to give Dutchtown the early 7-0 advantage.

This lead lasted until late in the second quarter.

For the only time in the game, special teams were unkind to the Griffins. One of their punts was blocked, and Central recovered it at the Dutchtown 27-yard line.

The Wildcats quickly went on the move, and they hit pay dirt when quarterback Samuel Kenerson scored on a one-yard run to tie the game with just over two minutes remaining in the quarter.

The score remained the same heading into the half.

Central got the ball to start the third quarter. On their second play, Kenerson broke free on an option-keeper. He sprinted 75 yards for a Wildcat touchdown.

Although, Central missed the extra point. It kept the lead at just 13-7.

The Dutchtown special teams then got back on track. Terry Matthews returned the ensuing kickoff 60 yards.

This big return eventually set up a 34-yard field goal by Parent to trim the deficit to 13-10.

Later, Parent made a field goal from 27 yards out to tie the game. This tie carried over until late in the fourth quarter.

After a Griffin punt bounced into the end zone, Central’s offense took over at their own 20-yard line with the game clock ticking down.

Kenerson hit Parker Evans for a 39-yard gain to the Dutchtown 35. A few plays later, Central reached the Griffin 15.

It set up Wildcat kicker Erick Canales for a 32-yard field goal attempt to give Central a late lead.

However, the Griffins blocked the kick. The huge stop sent the game into overtime.

Dutchtown got the ball first, but they weren’t able to score a touchdown. They had to settle for another 27-yard Parent field goal that put them ahead 16-13.

Central got the ball next. Like the Griffins, they weren’t able to score on their first three tries. It set up fourth-and-goal at the 3-yard line.

Rather than opting for the field goal to send the game into double-overtime, the Wildcats went for the victory.

They went for it on fourth down, and the Dutchtown defense stood tall and made the stop on Kenerson.

Kenerson had a big game against the Griffins. He carried the ball 19 times for 135 yards and two scores, but it was the score he couldn’t make that assured Dutchtown’s victory.

As for Parent, his three field goals set a new school record for most made kicks in a game.

The win evened the Griffins’ record at 1-1.

This week, they’ll try for a winning record as they go on the road to face Covington. The Lions beat the Griffins in a 40-34 thriller last season.