Two Ascension athletes perform well at Special Olympics USA Games
Special Olympics Louisiana selected five athletes, one unified partner and one coach from the Capital Area to attend the third Special Olympics USA Games.
Overall, 56 athletes, 24 unified partners and 21 coaches from the entire state of Louisiana were chosen to attend. The games were held last month in New Jersey.
Team Louisiana did phenomenally at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games. They brought home 47 gold medals, 36 silver medals, 34 bronze medals, 43 fourth-place ribbons, 10 fifth-place ribbons, six sixth-place ribbons, three seventh-place ribbons and three eighth-place ribbons. That is a grand total of 182 awards.
The Capital Area alone won eight Gold medals, two Silver medals, one Bronze medal, three fourth-place ribbons, two sixth-place ribbons and one eighth-place ribbon. That is a total of 17 medals brought home to the Capital Area.
Below are the results for local athletes, coaches and partners from the Capital Area:
- Coach Shirley Green led Unified Basketball to win a Silver medal.
- Unified Partner, Dustin Guessfeld, won Gold in Unified Bowling Team and sixth in Bowling Unified Doubles.
- Donald Guillory won two Gold medals in Bowling Unified Team and Bowling Singles. He also won sixth in Bowling Unified Doubles.
- Dan Johnson won Silver in Bocce Singles and two fourth-place ribbons in Bocce Unified Team and Bocce Unified Doubles.
- Athletics athletes preformed spectacularly. Darryl Robinson won Gold in the Softball Throw.
- Prairieville's K’Von Albert won three Gold medals in the 400m Wheelchair Race, the Softball Throw and the 200m Wheelchair Race. He also won a Silver medal in the 100m Wheelchair Race.
- Prairieville's Daisy Badillo won Gold in the 400m Run, Bronze in the Mini Javelin, fourth-place in the 4x100m Relay and eight in the Running Long Jump.
There were nearly 3,500 athletes and 1,000 coaches and delegates from all 50 states who attended and competed in the 2014 USA Games.
About 70,000 family, friends and spectators also were in attendance. For more information about the USA Games or to donate, visit their website at www.laso.org or contact them at 1-800-345-6644.