Nominations sought for conservation awards
The Louisiana Wildlife Federation is now accepting nominations for the 47th Governor’s State Conservation Achievement Awards. The program recognizes those persons and organizations who make outstanding contributions to the natural resource welfare and environmental quality of the community, parish and state. There are eight award categories. They are: professional; volunteer; business; educator; youth; elected official; communications and organization.
Nominations are now open and will be accepted until Feb. 1, 2011. The awards will be presented on March 19 at a special banquet held in conjunction with the 72nd annual convention of the Louisiana Wildlife Federation at the Alexander Fulton Hotel in Alexandria.
For more information, see lawildlifefed.org.
Those awarded for their accomplishments in 2009 were:
• Tab Benoit of Houma for using the stage and his music to convey the urgency of Louisiana’s rapid land loss to a national audience;
• Scott A. Angelle of Breaux Bridge, secretary of the state Department of Natural Resources, for his guidance and leadership in the restructuring and implementation of the new Atchafalaya Basin Program;
• Charles R. Caillouet Jr. of Prairieville, president of the Friends of the Atchafalaya, for organizing and implementing an ambitious program of outreach and activities to involve citizens in the enjoyment and conservation of the Atchafalaya Basin;
• The 6th, 7th and 8th-graders of the Lafayette Middle School Environmental Science Academy for recycling and habitat and species restoration projects;
• Bob’s Tree Preservation Company for establishing the annual “Acorns of Hope” bicycle ride and community education program;
• Frank C. Rohwer, Ph.D of Baton Rouge, Associate Professor of Wildlife Ecology at LSU for instruction and mentoring of America’s wildlife scientists and conservation professionals;
• The LSU AgCenter for its new series of entertaining, educational videos;
• The LSU Coastal Roots Program for its student-teacher collaboration in growing and planting trees, grasses and other plants.