Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association names Youth Outdoor Journalism contest winners
The Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association will honor the winners of its 2010 Youth Journalism Contest at its 65th annual conference in Covington Saturday, Aug. 7.
The honorees include Emily Winter of Gonzales and Joe Stassi of Prairieville. Winter won third place for photography with Louisiana Stream, while Stassi was an honorable mention in the essay competition with Duck Hunting At Dawn.
An annual event, the contest focuses on building literacy among outdoor youth while promoting involvement in the outdoors.
Winning entries will be available at the LOWA Web site, laoutdoorwriters.com. The Louisiana Chapter of Safari Clubs International also publishes the winners in their newsletter.
Students share personal experiences in hunting, fishing, boating, camping, horseback riding, hiking, or any other activities where they engage with nature and the environment. Judges look for literate and enthusiastic work along with photography that captures the essence and spirit of Louisiana.
Prize monies are donated by the Louisiana Chapter of Safari Clubs International, and the Baton Rouge Advocate provided advertising and press releases in the promotion of the contest. First through fourth place winners receive award certificates and cash prizes. The categories are Photography (18 and under), Senior Essay (14-18), and Junior Essay (13 and under).
For more information about LOWA and its membership guidelines visit their Web site.
Special thanks to the judges (and their teams) of the contest: Senior Essay-Wendy Billiot, Theriot, La.; Junior Essay-John Flores, Patterson, La.; Photography-Deb Burst, Mandeville, La.
The 2010 YJC photography winners and their photos:
• 1st place: Flight of the Egret; Jacob Thompson, Age 18; Oak Forest Academy, Amite.
• 2nd place: Louisiana Reflections; Brittany Gosserand, Age 16; St. Michael the Arc Angle High School, Baton Rouge.
• 3rd place: Louisiana Stream; Emily Winter, Age 12 ; Home School, Gonzales.
• Honorable Mention: Gator Camouflage; Dylan Duvio, Age 15; John Curtis Christian, Kenner.
The 2010 YJC Senior Essays 14-18 age group:
• 1st Place: Nature’s Spectacle; Catherine Parsiola, Age 18; Berwick High School, Berwick.
• 2nd Place: Louisiana Education: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Fishing!; Joshua Bellau, Age 14; John Curtis Christian School.
• 3rd Place: Photo Challenger; Jacob Thompson, Age 17; Oak Forest Academy, Amite.
• Honorable Mention: My Outdoors; William Guilbeau, Age 14; Academy of Environmental Sciences, Youngsville.
The 2010 YJC Junior Essays 7-13 age group:
• 1st Place: Magpie Lessons; Madeleine Juneau, Age 12; Glasgow Middle, Baton Rouge.
• 2nd Place: Deer Stand Education; Ashley Davis, Age 13; Lee Road Jr. High, Covington.
• Third Place: Will I Ever Get To Go Fishing Again; Alexis Lang, Age 10; John Curtis Christian School
• Honorable Mention: Duck Hunting At Dawn; Joe Stassi, Age 12; Dutchtown Middle, Prairieville.