Dutchtown advances past Terrebonne

Derek Breaux
Terrebonne's Edgar Galindo (8) and Dutchtown's Grant Auzenne (9) go for the ball in the first half of the Griffins’ 3-2 Division I regional playoff victory in overtime Thursday night at Tom B, Smith Stadium in Houma.

HOUMA – Dutchtown overcame an early deficit to defeat Terrebonne 3-2  in overtime of the Division I regionals Thursday night at Tom B.?Smith Stadium. 

No. 8 seed Dutchtown staged a late comeback to prevent 24th seed Terrebone from comleting their second upset of the playoffs. The Griffins host No. 1 seed Jesuit at Griffin Field tonight at 6:30 p.m.

“We got down early on a counter attack and it took I'd by surprise I think, but the guys kicked up the intensity and kept playing,” Dutchtown head coach Larry Chambless said. “We were in a playoff game down a goal, down a man and decided to only play three defenders to keep our midfield and forward presence.”

Ryan Reid scored his second goal of the evening on a loose ball to tie the game at 2-2. The attack started off Colin Poche’s free kick which was poked back into play by Kenneth Salinas. Reid then spun and struck the ball first for the tying goal. 

“We actually played our best at this time,” Chambless said. “Reid played with the heart of a lion as did the entire team. It was a very intense game with win or go home implications and the guys performed admirably in 100 minutes of soccer.”

It looked like the match would stay tied going into the second overtime but Kyle Rumbaugh put in a header to give the Griffins a 3-2 lead.

“We didn’t play great to begin with,” Chambless said. “I don’t think we played terrible. Our defense kind of fell asleep and they got a quick counter on it, something we haven’t gave up all year. The playoffs put a little pressure on the guys and it took them a while to come around. We had a ton of opportunities on offense.”

Brad Use’ scored with 16:28 in the first half to give Terrebonne a 1-0 lead.

The Griffins tied the game   when Reid booted in a shot three minutes into the second half.

With 26 minutes left in the second half, Edgar Galindo scored on a header to give Terrebonne a 3-2 lead.

Despite having several opportunities in overtime, Terrebonne was unable to convert on many of their shots due to Dutchtown’s defense.

“Dutchtown is an excellent team,” Terrebonne coach Juan Trejo said. “They have 11 players with a lot of skills. We fight every second. We never give up no matter if we are winning or losing. We did the best we can. We weren’t intimidated by them. We played them face-to-face.”

After receiving a yellow card late in the second half and in overtime, Terrebonne defender Seth Pellegrin was thrown out of the game. Simon Marcel was also ejected after he received a red card.

They weren’t alone though. Dutchtown’s Conner Fryoux received a red card with 23 minutes left in the second half and was ejected. The Griffins received four yellow cards throughout the match.