Parish President Rescinds Parish State of Emergency

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen

GONZALES – Ascension Parish President Tommy Martinez this morning rescinded the parish’s State of Emergency that followed last week’s extensive rain event.

The document to rescind was filed with the Ascension Parish Clerk of Court’s office just after 10 a.m.

President Martinez declared the parish state of emergency on May 30 following several days of repeated heavy rainfall that caused flash flooding in different parish locations including Donaldsonville and Darrow communities.

“Out of concern for residents whose houses were impacted by flash flooding, we wanted to ensure that the parish would be considered for federal and state disaster relief funding,” President Martinez said.

Ascension Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Director Rick Webre announced at last night’s West Ascension Consolidated Gravity Drainage District board meeting that Ascension Parish was not eligible for federal aid because damage assessments did not reach the state’s threshold requirements.

“Our preliminary assessments showed there were 109 uninsured homes that were flooded in Ascension Parish,” Webre said.

Webre said the number of flooded Ascension Parish homes, along with flooded homes in St. James Parish, did not meet federal criteria to be classified as “major damage”. Meeting that criteria would have prompted the opening of the FEMA individual assistance program.

Webre added once assessments are completed, Ascension Parish could have more than 150 homes with flood damage.