Fact check: Claim that a 4th stimulus check is scheduled for July is a hoax
The claim: Stimulus check of up to $2,500 approved for July 30
Low- and moderate-income families across the U.S. started receiving up to $300 in monthly payments per child under the newly expanded Child Tax Credit on July 15.
But that's not the only federal aid Americans can expect to see in July, claim some on social media.
"It passed 10 minutes ago! Everyone gets another stimulus check for $2500 on July 30, 2021. They did it!" reads one July 15 Facebook post that has since received about 500 shares, and is among many making the same claim on the social media platform.
All the posts provide an external link with supposed instructions on how to get the promised stimulus check directly deposited. Clicking the link, however, sends users to an image of an ape giving the middle finger.
USA TODAY has reached out to the posters for comment.
The ape picture might indicate some Facebook users are sharing the claim as a joke. But comments beneath various posts show others are taking it seriously.
"Is this true?" asked one user under a similar July 15 post.
No, it's not.
Plans for a fourth stimulus check unlikely
The claim is a hoax. No fourth stimulus check for July 30 has been announced by Congress.
This is not the first time such a claim has circulated on social media. In May, a Facebook post alleged a direct payment of $2,000 per person would be arriving by Memorial Day weekend, which USA TODAY debunked.
While some Democratic lawmakers have clamored for increased federal aid, including a fourth round of stimulus, the latter is unlikely to happen, USA TODAY has previously reported.
What eligible Americans will be receiving instead through President Joe Biden's American Rescue Plan passed in March are payments through the Child Tax Credit and extended unemployment benefits.
Our rating: False
Based on our research, we rate FALSE the claim a stimulus check of up to $2,500 has been approved for July 30. Since the third stimulus check in March, there have been pushes for a fourth round of COVID-19 pandemic aid, but none has been approved as of yet.
Our fact-check sources:
- USA TODAY, May 17, Child tax credit: Families will start receiving monthly advance payments July 15
- USA TODAY, May 7, Fact check: Congress has not approved a fourth round of stimulus checks
- USA TODAY, April 14, 2020, Treasury says first coronavirus stimulus checks have gone out and many will get payments by April 15
- USA TODAY, Dec. 29, 2020, House approves increasing stimulus checks to $2,000 for Americans, sends bill to Senate
- USA TODAY, March 11, $1,400 checks are coming in the new coronavirus relief bill. Here's who will get them, and who won't.
- USA TODAY, April 30, Will there be a fourth stimulus check? Americans are looking for clues.
- USA TODAY, April 26, Unemployment $10,200 tax break: Some may need to amend returns for tax refunds
Thank you for supporting our journalism. You can subscribe to our print edition, ad-free app or electronic newspaper replica here.
Our fact-check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook.