EATEL awards laptops to high school seniors
EATEL honored students from Ascension and Livingston area high schools in the company’s annual technology awards.
Focusing on the importance of both technology and academic success, EATEL honored six graduating seniors from Donaldsonville, Dutchtown, East Ascension, St. Amant, French Settlement and Maurepas high schools who plan to pursue studies in mathematics, basic sciences, computer technology, information technology, engineering, multimedia or business management with their own laptop computers.
Technology Award applicants must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher, actively participate in school and community activities and plan to pursue their studies at a Louisiana accredited college or university. The 2009 recipients were chosen by a counselor from each school.
The following students were presented with new Dell Inspiron 1545 laptops. Each computer has a dual core 2.0GHZ processor, 2GB memory, 160GB hard drive with Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition.
• Chelsea Davis of Donaldsonville High School, 3.95 GPA, plans to attend Xavier University and major in Chemistry – pre-pharmacy;
• Jeff Boudreaux of Dutchtown High School, 4.74 GPA, plans to attend Louisiana Tech and major in Chemical Engineering;
• Jordan Achord of East Ascension High School, 3.94 GPA, plans to attend LSU and major in Biology;
• Justin Breaux of St. Amant High School, 4.50 GPA, plans to attend LSU and major in Engineering;
• Alissa Parrish of French Settlement High School, 3.12 GPA, plans to attend Southeastern Louisiana University and major in Science;
• Ariel Berthelot of Maurepas High School, 3.90 GPA, plans to attend LSU and major in Business Management.
“EATEL wants to make certain that when their set foot on their university’s campus in the fall, these seniors will be equipped with the technology needed to continue their academic success,” said Robert Burgess, president and chief operating officer of EATEL.
EATEL, a privately owned communications company headquartered in Ascension Parish, received the 2007 Louisiana Governor’s Technology Award, “Technology Company of the Year,” and the Louisiana Department of Education’s 2007 Distinguished Partners in Education award.
EATEL was also chosen by Broadband Properties Magazine as a 2007 Cornerstone Award recipient.