Smoke detectors save child in St. Amant from house fire

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen

Smoke detectors and a quick response by local Ascension Firefighters saved an 11-year-old girl from her room engulfed in flames, according to firefighters.

St. Amant Chief Officer James E. LeBlanc said St. Amant 7th District and Sorrento Volunteer Fire Departments received the call at 11:43 a.m., Thursday, and arrived at the scene at 11:46 a.m. to find flames coming out of a bedroom where the 11-year-old girl was sleeping.

"The older residents were outside for three minutes when they heard the smoke detectors going off. The homeowner entered the room to find the curtains fully engulfed and the smoke detector alerting the sleeping child," he said.

He said the fire is still under investigation at this time.

"The Ascension Volunteer Firefighters did a very quick response on the structure, but smoke damage has destroyed most of the trailer," LeBlanc said.

"At this time Red Cross is en-route to the scene to help find shelter and clothes for the seven residents living in the home."