Ockman guilty on indecent behavior with juvenile charge

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen
Owen Ockman, Jr.

A six person jury deliberated for just over two hours on Aug. 20 before returning to the courtroom of the Honorable Judge Jessie LeBlanc with a verdict of guilty in the indecent behavior with a juvenile trial of Owen Ockman Jr. Ockman was tried for indecent behavior with a female, while she was between the ages of 13 and 16.

Assistant District Attorney Joni Buquoi, who tried the case on behalf of the 23rd JDA, said she was pleased with the outcome.

"We couldn't be happier with the outcome of what has been a long and painful process for the victim of Mr. Ockman,” Buquoi said. “Justice was served today, and although that won't change the circumstances of what his victim went through, it will hopefully go a long way in not only allowing her to begin a road to recovery, but also allow other victims of similar crimes the strength to stand up and face their aggressors, knowing that we will continue fighting for their voices and stories to be heard. This is a wonderful day for all involved in seeing that Mr. Ockman pays for his crime."

Jude LeBlanc has set Nov. 16 as Ockman’s date for sentencing. His attorney, John Guitirrez, reminded Judge LeBlanc that Ockman’s previous bond had been set at $7,500, and asked that it be kept the same, and that Ockman be allowed to return home until Aug. 21 – Buquoi asked that Ockman be remanded immediately.Judge LeBlanc set a post-conviction bond of $75,000, along with a bail restriction prohibiting any contact with the victim, now 21 years of age, and any member of her family.

Ockman now has until 4 p.m., Aug. 21 to post his bond and turn himself into the proper authorities. He faces up to seven years of incarceration with or without hard labor.