Hit and run driver damages Walker residence

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen

Ashlyn Schroeder walked out of her home on Gaylord Road in Walker and found that sometime during the night, a car had driven through her front yard and crashed into her garage. The driver of the vehicle driver apparently fled on foot, leaving the "parked" car behind. Walker Police responded to the call. "At approximately 6:40 am Saturday morning, Walker Police was dispatched to a report of damage to a residence located on Gaylord Road," said Captain John Sharp, Walker Police Public Information Officer. "Upon arrival, we found that sometime during the night a vehicle had crashed into the front of the Schroeder home, causing substantial damage to the garage portion of the residence." Walker Police and Fire Protection District Four verified that no one was in the vehicle and that no one in the home was injured, and an inspection of the residence was done to make sure it was safe for the occupants.

A check of the registration disclosed that the owner of the vehicle lived on Salt Dome Road, just a short distance from the accident. "Walker Police Officer Mitchell Fouse went to the home of Michael Korkosz, owner of the vehicle, to discuss the accident," Captain Sharp stated. "Mr. Korkosz informed Officer Fouse that his son, Terry Korkosz, had earlier admitted to wrecking the vehicle, following which Terry Korkosz locked himself in his bedroom and refused to come out. Mr. Korkosz then showed Officer Fouse the door to the bedroom and told Officer Fouse to force entry if Terry Korkosz refused to come out."

Despite repeated efforts, Korkosz refused to surrender to police. "After several attempts to persuade Mr. Korkosz to open the door, it became apparent he was not going to cooperate," Captain Sharp reported. "At that point, Officer Fouse kicked in the door and took Mr. Korkosz into custody." During the course of the arrest, Korkosz admitted to Police that he had crashed his father's car into the Schroeder residence and told police that the accident had occurred around 2 am.

During the investigation, the homeowner expressed her surprise that the crash didn't awaken her family and that gratitude that no one was hurt. "Ms Schroeder told us that her family uses the garage as a game room," said Captain Sharp. "Had the accident occurred earlier, someone could have been in the room when the car crashed through the wall and been badly injured."

Korkosz was booked into the Livingston Parish Detention Center on charges of Hit and Run Driving and Criminal Damage to Property. He remains in jail with bond set at $5,500.00.