Ascension preparations made for Harvey
Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa has ordered the following precautions to be taken in anticipation of inclement weather from a tropical system in the Gulf known as Harvey:
1) The Department of Public Works (DPW) and the Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness (OEP) have begun filling and transporting sandbags to designated fire stations throughout the Parish
2) OEP will be conducting daily conference calls with the National Weather Service and the Governor's Office.
3) The pumps at the Marvin Braud Pumping Station, the Henderson Bayou Pumping Station, and the Sorrento Pumping Station are ready to operate if needed, and will be maxed out with extra fuel.
4) Portable pumps are being delivered to areas where past localized flooding has occurred: Bullock Subdivision, Southwood Subdivision and Astroland Subdivision.
5) All inland water ways and low lying areas are being monitored to determine the need to begin pumping operations, and coordination has begun with all local government agencies and municipalities.
Correction 10:09 a.m.: portable pumps will be delivered to Buxton Subdivision in St. Amant, not Bullock as previously reported.