Public comment period opening on plan to extend housing for flood survivors

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen

Gov. John Bel Edwards’ Office of Community Development will be accepting public comments on an action plan amendment that allocates Community Development Block Grant disaster recovery funding from the U.S. Office of Housing and Urban Development for August 2016 flood survivors who remain in temporary housing.

The public comment period opens Wednesday, June 7 and ends at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 20.

Action Plan Amendment 2 would expand the Rapid Rehousing Program to fund temporary lodging expenses for the flooded households who remain in hotels and motels following the loss of their homes in the August 2016 floods. FEMA monies for Transitional Sheltering Assistance ended May 31 with the Louisiana Housing Corporation now temporarily funding the program. These households are considered to be at immediate risk for homelessness.

The amendment seeks to change the income levels of eligible households and would allow the state to use funds from Rapid Rehousing’s $16 million program budget. Action Plan Amendment 2 is considered substantial and, as such, must undergo a public comment period, because it adds new beneficiaries to the state’s Great Floods of 2016 Action Plan.

A copy of the plan can be requested by calling 225-219-9600. After accepting public comments, the state will submit the plan to HUD for final approval.

Members of the public can submit comments several ways:

Using the online form at

Emailing them to

Mailing them to Disaster Recovery Unit, P.O. Box 94095, 70804-9095, Attn: Janice Lovett

Faxing them to the attention of Janice Lovett at 225-219-9605

The funds are part of $1.6 billion in Community Development Block Grant disaster recovery dollars that HUD allocated to Louisiana for recovery from the Great Floods of 2016.

Vietnamese: Muốn biết thêm chi tiết về Kế Hoạch Hành Động, xin gọi số 225-219-9600 hoặc viết về địa chỉ điện thư

Spanish: Para más información sobre el plan de acción, llame al 225-219-9600 o email

Contributed Report