GFD extinguishes structure fire, reminds parents/guardians to heed advice

Staff Report

     GONZALES – On Nov. 22, at 4:38 p.m., the City of Gonzales Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 207 S. Pleasant St. within the city limits.

     Upon arrival, City of Gonzales Fire Department firefighters found a shed fully engulfed in flames. After working for fifteen minutes to extinguish the fire, the shed was found to be a total loss.

     The fire was caused by a child playing with a cigarette lighter. The City of Gonzales Fire Department cannot stress enough the importance of keeping lighters, matches and candles away from children, as well as keeping them far from fire pits and outdoor cooking equipment. These items can be seen as harmless or as toys by children, but can have destructive or deadly consequences when used improperly.