Gonzales Fire Department joins with assisting departments to respond to trailer fire
On Monday, May 25, The City of Gonzales Fire Department and 7th District Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched at 10:37 p.m. in relation to a residence on fire. Firefighters arrived to find a trailer fully engulfed in flames. As firefighters battled the flames, the Sorrento Volunteer Fire Department was called to assist with water supply.
Although the fire was controlled within an hour time frame, the trailer was a total loss. Fortunately, one of the owners received only a minor injury while reentering the trailer to retrieve a family pet.
The owners have received Red Cross assistance and will be staying with family for the time being.
It was found that the fire began with food on the stove which had been left on as owners were going to sleep.
The City of Gonzales Fire Department reminds the public of the importance of fire safety tips while cooking. Always ensure that range hood filters are as clean as possible, prevent the hazardous build-up of burnt food and spilled fats by habitually cleaning hot plates and ovens, clean ovens and toasters regularly to avoid a dangerous build-up of crumbs and debris, remove fumes by using a ventilation system or exhaust fan, and never leave a turned-on electrical appliance unattended.
Also, when a fire is first noticed, that is the time to rescue family pets. Returning to the home to do so when a residence in fully engulfed can lead to detrimental results for all involved.