Gonzales Fire Department responds to residential structure fire

Staff Writer
Gonzales Weekly Citizen

The Gonzales Fire Department was called to a residential structure fire at 1120 E. Tiffany Street, on Sunday, January 4. Upon arriving, firefighters noticed fire coming out of the roof of a shed connected to the home.

Gonzales firefighters arrived on scene within minutes and began extinguishing the fire, which was brought under control in less than half an hour.

The homeowner was alerted to the fire by his smoke detector and contacted 911 immediately. The Gonzales Fire Department wishes to stress the importance of having working smoke detectors in all homes, as without one, this particular fire could have spread and caused damage to the living area of the home, instead of only the carport and shed areas

Damage is estimated to be in the region of $30,000.