Recycling Roadshow set for this Saturday
The Ascension Parish Recycling Road Show will be held this Saturday, Oct. 1, at the Wal-Mart store in Prairieville. A recycling vehicle will be stationed in the parking lot from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Collection numbers from last month’s Sept. 3 event reveal about 4,217 pounds, or a little more than 2 tons of recyclables were dropped off, according to Terance Irvin, parish environmental director. He said 98 vehicles showed up at the drop off location with recyclable materials.
The types of material being accepted include:
· Newspapers and magazines, including catalogs, phone books and paperback books, mail, colored paper and envelopes. Photos and carbon paper are not accepted.
· Milk and juice cartons, but no wax-coated frozen food packaging or take-out food containers.
· Cardboard, including detergent and cereal boxes, 12-pack drink cartons and flattened boxes.
· Aluminum, tin or bimetal cans and metal lids, but no aerosol cans or wire hangers.
· No. 1 or No. 7 plastic containers, but no bags, hangers, caps, lids, six-pack rings or chemical containers.
For more information, call the Department of Public Works at (225) 621-5730.