Gonzales Ready for Dixie Youth World Series
Anticipation has been building for months for the Dixie Youth World Series.
After months of planning, Gonzales will host a series of events from Aug. 6-12.
The economic impact is expected to exceed a million dollars. Hotels in Gonzales, along with Donaldsonville and Baton Rouge, will be booked with World series teams and officials. That translates into a direct impact for the local economy, including the tourism and retail sectors.
A total of 22 teams will be in the area. The teams are state championship winners from 11 southeastern states in both the 11- and 12-year-old division and the 9- and 10-year old division. Two spots are reserved for Gonzales host teams.
The city last hosted a Dixie Youth World Series in 1989. That tournament was for the 13- to 15-year-old division.
Here’s a breakdown of the series schedule:
Friday, Aug. 6
• 10 a.m.-1 p.m.:?Team registration and sign-in at the Ascension Chamber of Commerce at 1006 W. Hwy. 30, Gonzales. Host families will greet the teams.
• 2-3:30 p.m.:?Around the Horn and Home Run Derby at T-Joe Parks (behind the fire station).
• 5:30-6:30 p.m.:?Players Banquet at Lamar-Dixon Trade Mart for players, coaches and DYB officials only.
• 7 p.m.: Opening ceremonies at East Ascension’s Spartan Stadium. Gates open at 6 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 7
• 9:30 a.m.:?Director’s wives shopping at Tanger Outlet Center.
• Noon: Directors seafood luncheon at Gonzales Civic Center.
• 3:30, 5:30, 7:30 p.m.: Games begin at T-Joe Parks, Bergeron/Gaudin Field and EA Girls.
• 7 p.m.:?Recognize and introduce the 1986 State Champions at T-Joe Parks (behind fire station).
Sunday, Aug. 8
• 11 a.m.: Fellowship of Christian Athletes event at LSU’s Alex Box Stadium. General public invited.
• 3:30, 5:30, 7:30 p.m.: Games at T-Joe Parks, Bergeron/Gaudin Field and EA?Girls.
Monday, Aug. 9
• 9:30 a.m.: Director’s wives Houmas House tour and lunch.
• 6 and 8 p.m.: Games at T-Joe Parks, Bergeron/Gaudin Field and EA?Girls.
Wednesday, Aug. 11
• 7:30 a.m.:?Directors Golf Tournament at Pelican Point.
• 6 and 8 p.m.: Game at T-Joe Parks.
Thursday, Aug. 12
• 10 and 11 a.m.: Championship Games at T-Joe Parks.
• 6 and 7 p.m.:?Championship Games, if necessary.
For more information on the series, visit the city’s Web site at:?gonzalesla.com.
– by Michael Tortorich