IN AND OUT: Griffins use early goals to advance past Thibodaux

Peter Silas Pasqua
Dutchtown’s Ricky Lawrence drives past Thibodaux’s Gavin Barriosu for a shot attempt in the first half of the Griffins’ 4-1 Division I bi-district playoff victory Saturday afternoon at Griffin Field.

GEISMAR - Fourth-seeded Dutchtown scored three goals in the first half and coasted to a 4-1 Division I bi-district playoff victory over Thibodaux Saturday afternoon at Griffin Field.

The Griffins (20-3-3) move on to host 13th-seeded St. Thomas More Wednesday night in regional action. No. 29 seed Thibodaux ends the season with a record of 12-7-1.

It took Dutchtown less than 10 minutes to score and the Griffins added another goal five minutes later for a two-goal cushion.

“We came out well and took control of the game,” Dutchtown head coach Larry Chambless said. “We had really good intensity and unselfish play and the defense played well. 

“It was a good first round result. I was pleased with our overall effort. We've been putting in some wrinkles on corners and free kicks and we were able to get a look at those in live action.”

Tyler Sarrazin scored two goals for Dutchtown, while Ryan Reid and Ricky Lawrence each added one goal apiece.

For more photos click

Reid opened the scoring driving through two defenders and clanging a shot off the bottom right corner into the goal after controlling a Lawrence cross at chest height to put the Griffins ahead 1-0 with 31:45 left in the first half.

Ryan Willis got off Dutchtown’s first shot two minutes into the contest which goal keeper Javonti Knockum couldn’t control but was cleared away away by John Esteve.

Drew Williamson nearly put the Tigers on the board first with a shot that goalkeeper Adam Pittman tipped over the goal.

The Griffins made it 2-0 five minutes later when Lawrence drew a defender into the air and crossed to Sarrazin inside the goalbox for a side shot.

Williamson took the next two attempts, the second through defenders and off the goalpost.

Dutchtown owned the rest of the first half taking the next 12 shots. Lawrence’s attempt off Colin Poche’s corner kick was high before Poche went wide right.

It wasn’t until Lawrence converted a penalty kick after being fouled by Esteve in the box that the Griffins scored again to go ahead 3-0 with seven minutes remaining in the first half.

Knockum had previously deflected another attempt by Lawrence off Poche’s corner kick before Cass Diez’s shot from Lawrence was off the side bar.

Lawrence then went through the uprights after Knockum batted out Poche’s corner kick before Reid’s bicycle kick attempt from Johnson just in front of the goal went through the uprights.

Thibodaux took the last shot of the half, when Pittman gathered a header off Nicholas Benoit’s corner kick.

Lawrence fed Sarrazin wide right just three minutes into the second half to put Dutchtown ahead 4-0.

The Tigers lost one man in the 47th minute when Storm Landry was sent off for insubordination, and then were reduced to nine six minutes later when Slade Trosclair was given a red card for a hard tackle on Reid.

With less than four minutes remaining, the Tigers got a goal when Williamson scored on a long-range shot that ricocheted off the underside of the crossbar and into the goal.

“We played good in the beginning, but we needed to be tougher,” said interim Thibodaux coach Cecil Adams. “We wish them luck in the following rounds.”

Dutchtown’s Cass Diez takes a shot against Thibodaux’s Storm Landry in the first half of the Griffins’ 4-1 Division I bi-district playoff victory Saturday afternoon at Griffin Field.