Dutchtown’s second half rally overcomes deficit to St. Amant

Peter Silas Pasqua
Dutchtown goalkeeper Adam Pittman knocks away a corner kick in the second half of the Griffins’ 5-1 District 6-I victory Wednesday night at the Pit.

ST. AMANT – Dutchtown scored five goals in the second half to overcome a first-half deficit to St. Amant in a 5-1 District 6-I victory Wednesday night at the Pit.

The Griffins’ final three goals came within a five minute period in the second half.

“For the most part, I believe the boys stayed patient and you didn’t see a whole lot of frustration,” Dutchtown head coach Larry Chambless said. “They just went about their business waiting for opportunities to come and when they did, they came like a waterfall. We have played in big games against teams that came at us so we have been in this situation before.

“We have a couple of people out and we kind of had to adjust to that in the midfield.  This field is much smaller so their is an adjustment time to that too, because you have 20 players crammed into a small space. At halftime, we calmed down. The boys got motivated and went at them and we started putting one in after the other.”

Ricky Lawrence, Aaron Henry, Ryan Reid, Ryan Willis and Lloyd Johnson each scored for Dutchtown (13-3-3, 5-0).

“In the first half, the boys did exactly what they needed to do,” St. Amant head coach Adrian Garcia said. “They played physical and played their heart out. Dutchtown just got some bounces to go their way in the second half and played great. They went to an extra forward and we just took too long to react to it.”

Rantz Bourgeois scored the lone goal for St. Amant (13-8-3, 2-3).

Both teams took the same amount of shots in the first half but it wasn’t till Bourgeois’ header off Jaxon Lambert’s throw in with 8:11 left to play that someone cracked the scoreboard.

“We have scored a lot of goals this year through throw ins,” Garcia said. “That is one of our strong points.”

St. Amant had two more attempts before halftime but Chase Squires’ shot was wide left and goalkeeper Adam Pittman caught Lambert’s cross kick.

Earlier in the half, St. Amant goalkeeper Michael McDonald saved Johnson’s attempt before Grant Auzenne’s throw in was kicked out. Lawrence’s rebound off the wall of St. Amant during a free kick was also high before two attempts by Lambert were wide left.

Lawrence knotted it up less than 10 minutes into the second half when he delivered a penalty kick to the bottom right corner past McDonald.

Henry connected on a rebound from 15 yards to put the Griffins ahead, 2-1, 10 minutes later after Lambert’s breakaway was wide left and McDonald saved Conner Fryoux’s turnaround off Johnson’s corner kick.

Pittman gathered Lambert’s throw in, Dylan Galatas’ free kick and Jordan Bruno’s through ball before Reid drew McDonald out and found the back of the net with 15:30 left to play.

Reid assisted Willis with a cross pass just in front of the goal two minutes later before Johnson’s penalty kick reflected the final tally.

Lambert attempted two more shots that were gathered by Pittman in the closing minutes.

For more photos click http://weeklycitizen.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=925289&CategoryID=52934&ListSubAlbums=0

St. Amant’s Chase Squires dives for a header attempt in the second half of Dutchtown’s 5-1 District 6-I victory Wednesday night at the Pit.