St. Amant continues skid against Catholic

Peter Silas Pasqua
St. Amant’s Brandon Morris’ shot attempt is blocked by Catholic’s Kevin Miller in the fourth quarter of the Bears’ 66-57 victory Friday night.

ST. AMANT – St. Amant loss their third straight game Friday night dropping a 66-57 non district decision to Catholic.

“We have gotten away from doing what we have been doing,” St. Amant head coach Gary Duhe said. “We are not doing a good job of playing defense and guarding every possession It is simple as that. We are hitting a stretch in our schedule where we are playing good teams that are well coached and we have to respond.We have to keep working on that to get better.”

“This is the third game in a row where we have fallen behind at the beginning of a game. We have caught up and taken the lead but we can’t sustain it. It is a learning experience for us to be the hunted instead of the hunter. We used to chase teams and now, they are chasing us.”

Catholic went ahead 12-4 to open the contest before St. Amant battled back to cut it to 28-26 at half-time. The Bears had lost three in a row before holding of St. Amant in the fourth quarter by connecting on eight of 13 free throws.

“We just keep working,” Catholic head coach Kemper Todd said. “The games that we have loss have been very close and could have gone either way. We got some pretty good players and their guys are very good. I just thought it was a good basketball game and tonight, we were fortunate to come out on top.”

Rashaun Claiborne led all scorers with 21 points for St. Amant. Brandon Morris added 19, while Nick Morris added seven, Steve Fulkerson provided six and Bruce Mathison had four.

Catholic was led by Kevin Miller with 17 points. John Darnell added 14 and Tanner Breaux and Stephen Duhe each had 12 points.

Mathison fed Nick Morris for a 3-pointer on the right wing to open the fourth quarter cutting the deficit to 43-39. Breaux’s 3-pointer and Darnell’s drive after Claiborne’s free throws preceded Fulkerson’s dish to Brandon Morris inside and Nick Morris’ dish to Claiborne for a 3-pointer on the left wing to cut it to 49-46 but that is as close as St. Amant would get.

“They got through the press and they are a good free throw shooting team,” Duhe said. “We had to foul because we were down. When you get down, you have to foul and they made their free throws.

Kevin Caine’s drive put Catholic ahead 58-48 with 1:50 left to play after his dish to Danny Nelson inside off an inbounds pass and Miller’s put back and baseline dunk. Brandon Morris pull up 25-footer from near the top of the key cut it to 60-53 before Miller nailed two free throws that fouled out Claiborne.

“We are getting in foul trouble because we are not moving our feet,” Duhe said. “Every mistake we have is fixable. It is nothing major. We just have to keep playing.”

Mathison nailed a 19-footer near the top of the key before Brandon Morris’ drive in transition cut it to 63-57 with 22.9 seconds remaining before Caine’s drive in transition reflected the final tally.

“The press doesn’t bother us,” Todd said. “We missed too many free throws. The key was we got good shots and we defended real well. (Morris) is going to get his points but we defended well overall. We missed enough free throws to let them back in but we guarded well.”

Darnell nailed two 3-pointers in the first quarter while Duhe had six points and Miller added four as the Bears took an 18-11 advantage into the second quarter. Claiborne scored eight of the Gators’ points.