Fire damages East Cornerview Road house Wednesday

Wade McIntyre
Gonzales firefighters Corey Gautreaux, left, and Stephen Gibbs leave the scene after the Gonzales Fire Department extinguished a fire at 217 Cornerview St. Wednesday afternoon.

A fire believed to have started in a mattress caused an estimated $4,000 to $5,000 damage at a rental house located at 217 Cornerview St. in Gonzales Wednesday afternoon, acting city Fire Chief Tracey Normand said.

No one was injured in the fire reported after a passerby told the residents they saw smoke coming from the house, Normand said. Three persons were at the house when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters found a mattress in one of the rooms burning and knocked the fire down with a water extinguisher, according to the chief. A “little bit” of an extension of the fire in one of the walls was also extinguished.

Normand said there is the possibility of someone smoking in bed, as cigarettes and ashtrays were found around the bed area.

The fire was hot enough to melt blinds in the front room of the home, Normand said.