Fire, smoke damage Country Kitchen restaurant in Gonzales Thursday

Wade McIntyre

The Gonzales Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at The Country Kitchen restaurant at 615 E. Ascension St., Gonzales around 7 p.m. Thursday  and extinguished an attic fire while the establishment was closed.

No injuries or damage to the adjoining Horn of Plenty health food establishment were reported.

According to a department report, firefighters discovered smoke showing through one side of the structure and made a forced entry through the door.  No fire was seen upon entry to the building, but heavy smoke still came out of the wall.

Firefighers opened an attic vent and discovered a small fire in the insulation of the attic, the report said. Firefighters progressed into the attic and found the fire  located between the ceiling and the first of two roofs in the structure.

When firefighters removed the side wall boards from the building, the fire vented itself and was quickly put out, the report said.

Power company workers were on the scene when the fire started, the report said, and were working on power going into the building. Utility workers pulled the meter from the pole at the restaurant, and told firefighters power to the pole had been killed, according to the report.

When the fire was out and salvage and overhaul work underway, firefighters discovered burned and exposed wires just above the restaurant breaker box and heavy charring on wood in the attic area, the report said.

Damage estimates at the popular buffet style restaurant were unavailable at press time Monday.

The restaurant was closed and encircled with fire scene tape Monday morning.