Infant perishes in Prairieville mobile home fire Monday

Wade McIntyre

PRAIRIEVILLE - A mobile home fire Monday night claimed the life of a two-year-old and left the child’s father in critical condition after he entered the burning house two times in desperate attempts to rescue the boy, according to Marc Reech, chief arson investigator with the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s office.

Four other occupants managed to escape the fire that started around 9:15 p.m. at 15069 Braud Road.

J’von Broussard, 2, died in the blaze, and his father Kendrick Broussard, 29, suffered second degree burns over nearly 45 percent his body while attempting to rescue the child from his burning bedroom located in the center part of the mobile home, Reech said.

Broussard was treated at the Baton Rouge General Medical Center’s Burn Unit. “To my knowledge he is still in critical condition,” Reech said Thursday morning.

Based on interviews conducted by the arson division, the fire was discovered by the victim’s mother, Jacinda Scott. Reech said Scott was able to rescue her four-year-old son Kendrick Jr. from the smoke-filled living room while Broussard tried to rescue the two-year-old, having to leave the home twice for fresh air as he did.

Boussard sustained severe burns on his last attempt, Reech said.

The couple’s two-week old daughter was rescued by Bryan Bauer, a neighbor, who pulled an air-conditioner from a bedroom window, and went inside the burning trailer to save the infant, Beech said. Another neighbor, Keith Martin helped pulled the window unit out, so Bauer would have access to the bedroom.

The heroic acts of the family and neighbors prevented this from becoming an even greater tragedy, Fire Marshal Butch Browning said. “This was a tragic fire that we all truly wish hadn’t have happened, but the quick reactions and courage of the family and neighbors prevented what could have been a horrible disaster.”

Investigation revealed the fire started at or around the central bedroom which was occupied by two male juveniles at the time of the fire, Reech said. The investigation continues, as the cause of the fire is still undetermined.

“We don’t know the specific cause yet,” Reech said. “It does not appear to be arson. It’s just a regrettable situation.”