National Charity League River Road Chapter honors Harvey
Lindsey Jordan Harvey of Prairieville was among the 20 young women honored on March 7 for providing more than 1,600 volunteer hours to charitable agencies in the Baton Rouge area through the River Road Chapter of the National Charity League (NCL).
The event, the eighth one in the Baton Rouge chapter’s history, was held at Stage 1 in Baton Rouge.
Harvey is the daughter of Kim and Darrell Harvey and a student at Dutchtown High School.
The honorees wore black formals and each was presented a nosegay by her escort for the event.
Harvey was escorted by her father, who wore black tie.
Melanie Johnson, 2009 Senior Soiree co-chair, welcomed members and guests to the evening’s celebration and Charlotte Spencer, who is one of the chapter’s sustaining members, served as mistress of ceremonies, introducing the honorees, providing a brief biographical sketch of each and reading a special message that each young woman wrote for her mother.
One of NCL’s key missions is to foster mother-daughter relationships through a philanthropic organization, and much of the volunteer work these seniors did was done alongside their mothers.
During their careers with NCL, the graduating seniors served as volunteers for such organizations as the American Diabetes Association, Bishop Ott Women Sweet Dreams Shelter for Women and Children, Bishop Ott Shelter for Men, Baton Rouge Green, Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) and Volunteers of America.
Several of the seniors received additional recognition during the evening from Chapter President Kathryn Moore.
Christine Greenblatt co-chaired the event with Johnson.
Kim Harvey serves as on River Road Chapter Board as its parliamentarian.
After the completion of the recognition program the honorees and their escorts danced to Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World.”
The National Charity League, established in 1947 and incorporated in 1958, has 149 chapters in 15 states in the United States. The River Road Chapter was established in August 1999.