REMEMBER WHEN: Laying of the Cornerstone
The blessing and laying of the cornerstone at the new St.Theresa of Avila Catholic Church was held Sunday, Oct. 26, 1952.
Officiating was the Most Rev. L. Abel Caillouet, Auxiliary Bishop of New Orleans.
The pastor of St. Theresa, Rev. Edmund Gaulrapp at right.
Master of ceremony was Rev. John A. Tomasovich who served as assistant priest 1949-51.
At the time of this ceremony, he was assistant at St. Joseph’s Church at Grosse Tete.
The dedication of the new church was later held Oct. 25, 1953. In the copper box, which was fitted into the inside of the stone, were placed several religious medals.
Other articles included a copy of the Catholic Action of the South, and of the Gonzales Weekly.
Also, a statistical report of the Bank of Gonzales, the Gonzales High School and the Gonzales Post office, together with a U. S. Rural Route Map of the territory served by the local post office; documents pertaining to the history of the parish and the blessing and laying of the cornerstone and the 1952 U.S. coins from one cent to one dollar.
This photo was taken by the late Dr. Theordore Wilson of Gonzales.
Lifestyles Editor Note: If anyone would like to share an Ascension Parish photo or photos from days gone by, e-mail photos and information to firstname.lastname@example.org