Ascension's premier dancing event and fundraiser coming soon
Dancing for a Cause organizers announced several changes behind the scenes of this year's fundraiser, including some new dancers and emcees. No matter what the changes, they say the event will be lots of fun with money raised going to a good cause.
Local celebrities are learning new moves to compete in this year's Dancing for a Cause event, with proceeds going to support The ARC of East Ascension's annual fundraiser which aims to raise much needed funds to raise awareness and enhance the quality of life for those people with disabilities and their families through services and advocacy that support choice, dignity and independence.
The final list for the 2013 Dancing for a Cause event sees 12 local celebrities matched up with professional dancers. They'll be giving it all they've got in a variety of styles ranging from the Foxtrot to the Conga and The Jive to the Cha Cha!
This year's event consists of eight newcomers to the event and four alumni dancers, with each group competing for individual group awards and also awards for the combined twelve dancers.
- State Fire Marshall Butch Browning dancing the Cha Cha
- Attorney Ryan Chenevert dancing the Salsa
- Sally Diez with Postlethwaite and Netterville dancing the Cha Cha
- Kyle Hanna with the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office dancing the Cha Cha
- Gwen Price with the Ascension Parish School Board dancing the West Coast Swing
- Black 7 Salon owner Toni Schexnayder dancing the Swing
- Marian Walsworth with Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center dancing the Foxtrot
- Dr. Dawn Zitman with St. Elizabeth's Physicians dancing the Pasa Doble
Alumni dancers include:
- Ami Clouatre Johnson with the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness dancing the Cha Cha
- Matt Dearman with Rubicon dancing Freestyle
- Charlotte Guedry with The Creole – Ascension Parish Online Newspaper and nStrumental Designs dancing the Conga
- Attorney Matt Pryor with Pujol and Pryor dancing the Jive
The event takes place at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center Trademart Building on July 13. Doors open at 6 p.m. with the show beginning at 7 p.m.
Emcees for the night will be Donald Songy and Latangela Sherman, with Honorary Chairperson being District Attorney Ricky Babin. Judges are Ascension Parish President Tommy Martinez, Eatel's Jenny Heroman, Czarina Walker with InfiniEDGE Software, Brittany Weiss with WBRZ, Smiley Anders with The Advocate and technical judge Jody Bruno with Dance Difference.
Tickets are still available but are going quickly. They are $30 and are available from the COEA office: 1122 S E Ascension Complex Blvd., Gonzales, LA 70737, LeBlanc's Food Store in Gonzales: 209 S. Airline Hwy, Gonzales, LA 70737, and LeBlanc's Food Store in Prairieville: 40017 Hwy 42, Prairieville, LA 70769.
For more information, or if you are interested in sponsoring this dancing and fundraising spectacular, contact the COEA office by calling 225.621.2000.
Online voting is also taking place at the moment. Simply visit www.dancingforacause.com, click on your favorite dancer and cast your vote. Votes cost only $1, and you can vote in whatever increment you like, however many times you like.
Come out and show your support. You won't want to miss the fun!