WASHINGTON — Gov. John Bel Edwards has announced that the Obama administration has amended the August 14, 2016 Federal Disaster Declaration for the historic flooding across south Louisiana in order to alter the cost share for damages to 90 percent for the federal portion and 10 percent for the state and local portion (90/10). The original cost share for the state was 75/25. Gov. Edwards made the request during the President's visit to Louisiana in August.

“I am grateful to the Obama administration for understanding the needs of our people and committing the federal resources necessary to help Louisiana during this difficult time,” Edwards said. “The personal and financial devastation caused by this storm has impacted thousands of individuals and families, as well as the state and local governments. This much needed help creates a clearer path forward, but we still have a long way to go and will continue to ask the federal government for additional assistance. While it will take time to complete the rebuilding process, this amended cost share will enable us to help our people come back stronger than ever.”

Gov. Edwards was in Washington, D.C. to petition Congress for additional financial assistance and testified before the House Subcommittee on Transportation and Public Assets about the oversight of the federal response to the flooding disaster on Sept. 9.

The state has requested additional assistance, including aid through federal Community Development Block Grant – Disaster Recovery and Social Services Block Grant funding. FEMA has opened Disaster Recovery Centers throughout the impacted areas and is coordinating with the Department of Commerce, Housing and Urban Development, Health and Human Services and the Interior, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and others to provide assistance with damages caused by the flooding.

On Monday, Gov. John Bel Edwards sent a letter to President Barack Obama updating the state’s request for federal assistance to $2.8 billion. In the letter, Gov. Edwards asked that the additional assistance be included in the Continuing Resolution that Congress will consider in the coming weeks. The additional $800 million will be used on resilient projects to protect homes and business from future flooding. On Sunday, Sept. 11, Gov. Edwards held a conference call with the entire Louisiana congressional delegation to discuss the updated request and asked for their support.

“After two rounds of historic flooding in just eight months, it is clear that Louisiana needs additional assistance from the federal government to rebuild our communities and make our state stronger than it was before,” said Gov. Edwards. “The congressional delegation and I are working together to help the people of Louisiana, and I am hopeful that Congress will approve this funding in the Continuing Resolution they will consider in the coming weeks.”

In addition to requesting the additional funding, Gov. Edwards reiterated his request that the federal government approve a 90 percent cost share for the March flooding that impacted every corner of the state. Last week, President Obama announced that the federal government would cover 90 percent of the costs for the August flooding.