As per Gov. John Bel Edwards' announcement, eligible flood survivors may take advantage of the following transitional housing assistance:

Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA): A temporary program for survivors displaced from their primary residence that allows eligible disaster survivors to select from a list of partner hotel rooms.

Access to available rental property listed on

Shelter at Home Program: The program allows homeowners and their families to stay in their homes while they rebuild, rather than relocate to a shelter, hotel or rental. Single-family owner-occupied properties are eligible if up to $15,000 in repairs provided by the Shelter at Home program will allow residents to quickly and safely shelter in their own home.  All people interested in this program must apply individually (separately from registering with FEMA or SBA or filing a flood insurance claim with NFIP). Applications should be made by calling (800) 927-0216 or visit

Multi-Family Lease and Repair Program (MFLRP): In this program, FEMA identifies larger scale rental property currently not on the market where the property owner, with some financial assistance from FEMA, can make the property ready to rent within two months. The property owner agrees to make these rentals available to eligible FEMA applicants.

Each site must have been previously used as multifamily housing and contain five or more rental units. In addition, the site must be able to be repaired within two months and cannot be located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).

Under this program, there is no rental cost for the eligible applicant.  The repair costs are funded by FEMA and the value of these repairs are deducted from the value of the lease agreement between FEMA and the property owner. 

If you are a property owner and are interested in repairing your rental property and assisting flooding survivors, call (225) 382-1464 or email FEMA at 

Louisiana, FEMA to provide manufactured housing units to some survivors

The Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness and FEMA are making manufactured housing units (MHUs) available to some survivors displaced by the recent severe storms and floods.

You may be able to live temporarily in an MHU if you’re eligible for FEMA help, but are unable to utilize rental assistance due to a lack of places to rent in your area. The models are different from housing units used following other Louisiana federal disaster declarations.

All units are constructed in accordance to U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and FEMA standards. Units range from one to three bedrooms to suit your family’s size. Eligible survivors who have access and functional needs will receive accommodating units to include modifications like ramps or platform steps. If you’re eligible to receive an MHU, you and your family may be able to place a unit on your property or a commercial park. FEMA may provide you a unit for up to 18 months. However, it’s important to show a continued housing need and progress toward a permanent housing plan in order to continue living in a unit.

Louisiana renters with flood damage may be eligible for federal help

Louisiana renters who experienced losses due to the severe storms and flooding beginning on Aug. 11, 2016, may be eligible for disaster recovery assistance from FEMA and the U.S Small Business Administration (SBA).

Renters may be eligible for grants from FEMA to help with such disaster-related expenses as renting a new place to live when the renter’s previous home was lost due to the disaster; disaster related medical and dental expenses; replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, such as appliances and furniture, textbooks and computers used by students, and work equipment or tools used by the self-employed; repair or replacement of vehicles damaged by the disaster; and disaster-related funeral and burial expenses.

FEMA grants are not loans and do not have to be repaid. They are not taxable income and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid, welfare assistance, SNAP benefits and several other programs.

Additionally, renters may qualify for a low-interest loan of up to $40,000 from the SBA to repair or replace personal property.

Renters who sustained losses can apply for assistance online with any computer, smart phone or tablet at or (800) 621-3362 or (TTY) (800) 462-7585. Those who use 711 or video relay service should call (800) 621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.