With the recent tragedy that has stuck Louisiana, communities are pulling together to help give back to their communities and help those in need. We have compiled a list of business and organizations offering either free or reduced services to those affected by flooding.
We will continue to periodically update this list. If you would like to add a business or organization, please contact us at (225) 644-6397 or email Brichardson@weeklycitizen.com. Submission deadlines to be featured in the Aug. 25 issue is Tuesday by 8 a.m.
- Little Prairie Baptist Church, 40497 La. 42, Prairieville, is hosting a free garage sale on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for flood victims. There will be clothes and other items given away.
- Adveturland Kids in Prairieville and Gonzlaes is offering drop-in childcare for children ages six weeks to 13 years at a discounted rate for new customers that were affected by the flooding and school closures. Contact the centers at (225) 677-8360 for more information.
- The Notary Depot, LLC., 13011 La. 73, Geismar, is offering to waive notary fees for flood victims that need insurance related paperwork due to flooding notarized. Limit two per client or household. For more information, (225) 313-4033.
- Verizon is providing free services, data, text and voice to customers until Aug. 21 to customers in certain Louisiana parishes, including Ascension.
The Verizon store at 1301 N. Airline Highway in Gonzales is helping residents, regardless of carrier, with free charging, internet and free calls.
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Service is offering free assistance to taxpayers needing copies of personal tax returns to obtain federal aid due to the recent flooding. Offices in Baton Rouge, Hammond, Lafayette, Houma and Lake Charles will assist clients in obtaining copies of tax returns prepared for 2015 at no charge.
In addition, any taxpayer wishing to file an amended return to claim a refund for damage suffered during the recent flooding in South Louisiana may come in beginning today through Oct. 15 and receive assistance preparing and filing that return at no charge.
Call (800) 234-1040 for a location near you.