A crash involving three passenger vehicles and two 18 wheelers on Interstate 12 Tuesday night claimed the life of a woman, critically injured her husband, and sent two more people to the hospital with injuries. According to Walker Police, the accident occurred at approximately 11:30 p.m. last night on I-12 westbound, a mile west of Satsuma. "We are continuing to investigate
this tragic accident," reports Captain John Sharp, Walker Police Public Information Officer. "Based on what we know at this time, it appears that a westbound 18 wheeler changed lanes to avoid a westbound pickup truck towing a disabled Ford Focus that pulled from the outside road shoulder into the lane of travel. While changing lanes, the 18 wheeler struck a westbound
Volkswagon convertible, sending it into the path of a second 18 wheeler." The resulting accident blocked both westbound lanes of travel.
Police are still gathering information regarding the accident and working to determine the condition of the accident victims.
"The Volkswagon was occupied by Matthew Barr and Hayle Barr from Dallas Texas who we understand may have recently relocated to Baton Rouge," Captain Sharp stated. "Ms. Barr was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by the Livingston Parish Coroner's Office. Mr. Barr was transported to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge where he is in extremely critical condition."
Police believe that the truck and the car being towed were occupied by a man and his daughter. "We have tentatively determined that the pickup truck was under the operation of a woman and that she was towing a Ford Focus occupied by her father," explained Captain Sharp. "Both of these individuals appeared to have suffered minor to moderate injuries and were transported by ambulance to a local hospital. Their identities are not yet available." Police report that neither of the 18 wheeler
drivers was injured.
Both westbound lanes of I-12 were closed for over three hours while the accident was investigated. "At approximately 2:45 a.m. we were able to reopen one westbound lane of travel," said Sharp. "However, both lanes were again closed at 4:15 am to permit vehicle recovery." Following the removal of all five vehicles involved in the accident, the interstate was fully reopened at 4:50 a.m.
Charges in connection with this fatal accident are pending. Walker Police will update this report later in the day to provide additional information concerning the identities of the persons involved, any charges in connection with the accident and the condition of the accident victims.