DONALDSONVILLE - A man died from gunshot wounds received just before 1 a.m.. Sunday while riding in a vehicle in the city, and six other men were apprehended and arrested in Gonzales in connection with the shooting, Lt. Col. Paul Robert, Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office chief of criminal operations reported.
Sheriff’s office units dispatched to 1011 Elizabeth Street found Jermaine James, 24, of 1416 Peytavin Street, Donaldsonville, dead from multiple gunshot wounds, Robert said.
The deceased was traveling with three other passengers in a vehicle near the intersection of Elizabeth and Front streets where witnesses said shots were fired from a gray Ford Expedition, according to Robert.
Authorities put out a bulletin on the Explorer, and about 30 minutes later a Sheriff’s patrol unit spotted a vehicle of that description in Gonzales near the intersection of Hwy. 30 and Ashland Road, Robert said.
The vehicle was stopped and after a subsequent investigation all six passengers were charged in connection with the murder of James, plus the attempted murder of the occupants of the vehicle he was riding in, Robert said.
As of Monday, Robert said two weapons were recovered.
Arrested in the case were:
• Vontrell J. Steward, 19, of 1216 Coontrap Road, Gonzales, charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and possession of marijuana.
• Kelvin Stewart, 25, 1216 Coontrap Road, Gonzales, charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Brian O. Steward, 17, of 108 Blackwell Lane, Bell Rose, charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Joseph Alexander Green III, 20, of 1109 Geismar, charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and failure to appear for a bench warrant.
• Al Jerome Boyd, 19, of 407 Chetimatches St., Donaldsonville, charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Deangelo Q. Thomas, 21, 513 N. Marchand Rd., Gonzales, charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder
All six men were incarcerated Monday in the parish jail in Donaldsonville with no bond set, Robert said.
Of the three other passengers in the victim’s car, two were unharmed in the shooting and the third was shot in the arm and transported to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge and later released, Robert said.
The case is still under investigation, Robert said.